(Schenectady County, NY) The Schenectady County Legislature approved two upgrades to the Rotterdam section of the popular Mohawk-Hudson Bike-Hike Trail during their June 14, 2016 meeting.
“The Mohawk-Hudson Bike-Hike Trail is one of the great recreational and quality of life assets we have in Schenectady County,” said Anthony Jasenski, Chair of the Schenectady County Legislature. “These projects continue our efforts to create a safer trail for the enjoyment of our families and all of our residents and visitors.”
The Schenectady County Legislature approved a $236,853 project to design and reconstruct the existing bollards/access control structures along the Mohawk Hudson Bike trail in the Town of Rotterdam. The project consists of replacing and upgrading bollards and access control structures at eleven locations and installing additional bicycle rail, signs and striping at various locations along approximately nine miles of the trail. Design work for this project has been completed and construction is scheduled for this summer/fall. The project is being funded with a federal grant provided by the Capital District Transportation Committee that covers 80 percent of project costs ($189,482) with the remaining 20 percent ($47,371) funded by the County.
The County Legislature also approved $150,000 to repave two miles of the trail in Rotterdam. This is funded with a $75,000 grant from the NYS Canal Corporation as part of Governor Cuomo’s Regional Economic Development Council. The State grant requires a $75,000 local match which is being provided by the County. The trail will be repaved from Lock 8 west to the Exit 26 Bridge. The project is a continuation of two previous Canal Corporation funded bike trail rehabilitation projects completed in 2014 and 2015.
Over the past three years, the County has paved approximately six miles of the nine mile section of trail from Schenectady County Community College west to NYS Route 5S. The crossing at Route 5S was also improved earlier this year.
The County is also working to extend the new Alco Heritage Trail so that it covers the entire length of riverfront from the Western Gateway Bridge in Schenectady to Freeman’s Bridge in Glenville. A $30,000 design contract funded by the Governor’s Regional Economic Development Council and Metroplex will explore ways to connect the trail west from River Street under the CSX tracks to Riverside Park.